I adore pizza and I love making pizza at home. It’s perfect for customizing your ingredients and one night I was just looking to mix up my classic homemade veggie pizza. So I got a little crazy and came up with this Chicken Garlic Pesto Pizza. I don’t want to brag….but…it was awesome! This pizza could also be a great Valentine’s Day dinner that’s low key, yet still special.
Chicken Garlic Pesto Pizza
- For the Crust:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup white flour (between 2½ -3 cups total)
- For the Topping:
- 1½ cup cooked shredded chicken
- Jar of pesto (8 ounce)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Onion sliced
- Roasted red pepper
- Olive oil
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Combine warm water, sugar, and yeast in mixing bowl. Let them rest together until yeast activates and bubbles up. Then add salt and oil. Stir in flours until a soft dough forms. Knead lightly 5 times. Place in warm area with towel over to rise. (I place on top of my stove while the oven preheats.) Preheat oven to 450.
- Meanwhile slice onion and red pepper; mince garlic. Saute in a tablespoon of olive oil until translucent. Add chicken and simmer a few minutes with onions and garlic.
- Spread crust on greased pizza stone or pan and bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Once crust has baked for 10 minutes remove from oven and top with pesto. Spread onion, chicken, and garlic over the pizza. Top with cheese (more or less according to your preference) and a sprinkle of parmesan. Bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly brown.
Serve warm with a romaine salad and a glass of white wine. If you’re not in a romantic mood by the time you’ve finished dinner, it’s not the pizza’s fault! 😉 I love that this pizza is light and unexpected, but still completely perfect for an easy pizza night at home.
What are your favorite pizza toppings?
*This post contains affiliate links to products I love.