The sharp smell of burning charcoal. Warm sunshine on your shoulders. A glass of chilled iced tea in hand. Grass cuttings. Fireflies. Flipping burgers on the grill.
The perfect all-American summer.
No season gets me as excited as summer. It’s a chance to be a child again, open yourself to impossibility, run through the sprinkler of life, if you will. Or the literal sprinkler. Whatever.
When we were in St. Louis we ate at an amazing restaurant called Bailey’s Range. Their burgers were to die for! While we were there I spotted a buffalo chicken burger on the menu and knew I wanted to recreate something like it at home. Buffalo wings are the amazing–I love making my homemade version, but a buffalo wing and burger fusion sounded to die for. I was all over that.
So last week I finally got a chance to make these healthy buffalo chicken burgers and they were all I was dreaming of! (It doesn’t always work like that, remember?) Juicy, with just the right amount of heat from the wing sauce, plus a nice sharp dose of blue cheese–these burgers are delectable!
You can use a little extra wing sauce on top or on the side for dipping. (Am I the only one that dips my burger in sauces?) Also, feel free to load your burger with copious amounts of blue cheese. I won’t judge. I promise.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ¼ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Buffalo Sauce (I used Medium-Hot from Steak n Shake) You can use up to 2 Tablespoons for extra heat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried onions
- Buffalo Sauce for topping
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese --approximately
- ½ cup blue cheese --approximately
- Mix ground turkey, bread crumbs, 1-2 Tablespoons buffalo sauce, garlic, and dried onion with hands until thoroughly combined. Divide into four sections and roll into balls. Press into patties. (Be sure to press your thumb into the center for even cooking!) Grill 3-5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature is over 150 degrees. Top each burger with a tablespoon or more of cheddar cheese, followed by a tablespoon or more of blue cheese and allow to sit on the grill for just a few more seconds until the cheese starts to melt. Serve with extra buffalo sauce for more spice!
Basically, you need to make these burgers–stat! Your summer demands it. While they are absolutely finger-licking good, they are healthy too, which is what I love about them! The cheese is perfectly proportioned and you don’t need much of either to get that nice flavor combination with the buffalo sauce.
What are you looking forward to grilling this summer? Do you like “fancy burgers” or do you prefer plain and simple?