And there is so much good-for-you stuff in it!
- Quinoa – This mighty little grain is packed with protein, fiber, and healthy carbs.
- Black beans – Low in fat, sodium (as long as you rinse), and high in fiber and protein
- Sweet corn – Delicious carbohydrate! We like to get ours in the summer from a local farm and freeze a ton for the rest of the year!
- Avocado – It’s no wonder my daughter call this “candy”! Avocados have amazing flavor, plus they are a healthy fat, the kind that raises your good cholesterol and lowers your bad!
Buffalo Chicken Bowls
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- ½ Cup Hot sauce
- 3 garlic cloves or 1 TB garlic
- 2 cups sweet corn (canned or frozen, drained and dethawed)
- 1 Can Black Beans
- 2 Avocados or ½ cup guacamole
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- Blue Cheese
- Hot sauce for topping
- Sour cream
- Combine the chicken, garlic and hot sauce in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Shred with forks after cooked. (Alternatively you can shred in a KitchenAid with the regular paddle--best kitchen hack ever!)
- Drain and rinse corn and black beans and cook over low heat until warm and tender. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Assemble your bowl: layer cooked quinoa, beans, corn, half an avacado diced, chicken, and blue cheese. If you like things spicy add a dash of hot sauce! For a creamy texture add a tablespoon of sour cream for each bowl.
Products Used in This Recipe:
Simple Crockpot – I love my no-frills slow cooker! It’s perfect for easy dinners like this one!
Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce – Gives this recipe it’s addictive spice.
Rada Cutlery Regular Paring Knife – These are so simple and cheap but they are my favorite paring knives! Easy to sharpen too!