Healthy banana bread is a delicious snack or breakfast thanks to added protein and reduced sugar and oil! This tasty snack mixes up fast and is a great way to use up overripe bananas.
There is never a bad time for banana bread.
Or rather it is ALWAYS good time for banana bread. Let’s stay positive, folks.
I especially love that I can eat this healthy banana bread guilt-free thanks to the reduced oil (hey-o applesauce!) and sugar. It’s still perfectly sweet and moist, I promise. I’ve been loving it lately as a post-breastfeeding snack because I have all the nursing hungers and it is satisfying comfort food, but good for you! Win-win-win!
I love classic comfort foods that I can tweak to be healthier and feel good about eating it and feeding it to my loved ones! The kiddos gobbled this up too! They both love bananas, but aren’t crazy about nuts, so we left them out; but adding chopped walnuts or pecans gives this bread some extra healthy fat and crunchy texture.
Healthy Banana Bread
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium mashed bananas
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 scoops (approximately ½ cup) vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I love walnuts, but pecans are lovely too!)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly beat sugar, applesauce, eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla until smooth. Add flours, protein powder, baking soda and salt and stir just until combined. Fold in nuts if desired.
- Pour into lightly greased 9x5 bread pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Top with aluminum foil to prevent over browning)
- Allow to cool before slicing.
Just a little tip… if you do not have buttermilk on hand (I
Also, I’m not super brand loyal to protein powders. It’s kind of like me and mascara….there always could be something better out there. Haha! But here is my current protein powder choice and I want to try this one next!
This healthy banana bread will go fast in your household! It’s hard to resist, but thanks to healthier ingredients you don’t have to! It pairs well with a cup of hot coffee or chai tea or a cold glass of your favorite milk!
Are you all just dying for more fall-ish weather, like me? I’m telling you it can’t come soon enough! I’m ready for crisp days and warm banana bread!
What are you most looking forward to this fall? Any fun activities planned?
We are doing our annual apple cider making trip next week!
To make this recipe you may need…